Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Going The Distance

Gobble Gobble y'all, it's that time of year again. Work potlucks, tacky sweaters and road trips back home. I personally enjoy all of those things, and everything else that goes with the holidays. Many of you will be out hitting the stores this Black Friday, I personally avoid it. Although I do like the competition aspect of it. Storming to the back of a Home Depot at 5:45am to get my hands on one of ten graphite broom handles for only $4.99!

Running has never been a thing I've enjoyed, so no telling why I started training for a marathon. Maybe because I'm not a big fan of the gym, I seem to spend more time getting ready than I do in there. I've picked out a novice training program although it doesn't feel that way. The longest run I've had to endure so far is 6 miles, I ran 3 today in just under 24 minutes. Getting onto the sofa even feels like a strain afterwards, but I'm sticking with it. 16 more weeks to go!

Another part of the holidays is the real estate market slows down. This year is a little different than last however, October sales Triangle wide were up 26% from last year. These increases are good news for the market, but it should also be considered October 2008 was just about the complete bottom of the market. We also have the tax credit working to our advantage, helping existing and new home buyers now.

Many people don't want their home being showed over the holidays for good reason. Let's take a look at the other side of that, some advantages to listing this time of year:
1. The buyers looking this time of year tend to be more serious.
2. There are fewer homes on the market, less competition means more money for sellers.
3. Many people will buy before the end of the year for tax purposes.
4. Sell your home now so you have time to buy and take advantage of the $6,500 tax credit!

Since we are on the topic of Thanksgiving and delicious food, I'm glad to see a Trader Joe's has opened up near me. It would have been safer running through traffic than making your way through there on Opening Day, I tried. But when it settles down, get your hands on some of those appetizers. Most I've tried are delicious, and the Two Buck Chuck isn't too shabby either. I'm sure quite a few of you will be having a glass over the holidays.
.
I'm looking forward to my high school 10 year class reunion this Friday. Geez how time flies. It's being held over at The Station in Carrboro, I hope there's enough room. It's a combo reunion of both high schools since many of us from East Chapel Hill High once attended Chapel Hill High. I'm sure people will still be arguing over which one is better.
.
I'll be pulling for East Carolina to win their division this Saturday and host the C-USA title game, either way a solid season from Skip Holtz and the Pirates. It's also important to note this is the most dangerous holidays for driving and there are a high rate of accidents. Drive safe, take it slow and enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend.

No comments: