Thursday, July 3, 2008

Breaking Stereotypes

The 4th of July is just but a day away. I'll be heading towards the coast for a few days of vacation. My clients who planned on coming in for the weekend have opted not to come until Tuesday, so I couldn't be happier about that. I'm sure I'll still be busy on my phone & laptop, but at least it will be in the sun. The destination is Topsail Beach, then a day or two of Wilmington to visit a friend.

I've been staying pretty busy for the season. The summer is typically a bit slower for most agents, but then again the past year has been too. With 2 closings already scheduled for July and a full month ahead, I'm feeling great about the second half of this year. During my final stay at our companies kiosk, I actually managed to pick up some good leads. I'm still feeling a bit odd about sitting in the mall though, so I plan on keeping myself off the schedule.
Kelly & my nephew Wyatt stopped by for a visit, then back to shopping

I was never too aware of the stereotypes associated with real estate agents until I got started. Many of them are exaggerated, especially in films like this, but I wanted to touch on just a few that affect me. The median age of a Realtor is 52, exactly double my age. Many folks are out of their corporate jobs taking a chance on real estate. Right away they are labeled with more experience because of their age, when I have sold two or three times as many homes.

I have been told on several occasions, "we really like what you offer but have decided to go with someone a bit older." In some cases they have just chosen someone who works "part time", may follow up on a call from the sign out front, and if you are lucky get an ad in the local paper. I am available 24/7 for my clients, I follow up every lead, and I'm proficient in the internet where 95% of homebuyers are starting their search. The list goes on, but this may give you an idea. It feels like being the best player on the team but starting behind the coaches son.


The only other stereotype I'll have time for is that real estate agents "only care about making a sale". There are agents out there like this, which helps in feeding the stereotype. A new agent just retired from the corporate world, wants more time with the kids and will sell a house from time to time. This is what hurts our image the most; a home will be most folks biggest purchase in a lifetime, and there are some incapable agents out there looking to "sell you a house and get their check."

I have dealt with a few agents who return calls 2 days later, ignore multiple offers at the thought of all that work, and overprice a home just to get the listing. All these things I have picked up on the past few years really irk me, but they help me in improving my business. I get a thrill in negotiating the best deals for my buyers, and getting the most for my sellers. It makes it that much easier when on the other side may be a part time realtor looking to make a quick sale. Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of great agents out there, many of whom I learn a lot from each transaction. However the amount of incompetency in this business can be a little bit scary, something my clients won't ever have to worry about.

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend!

1 comment:

Lars said...

That is one powerful line graph!