Tuesday, July 29, 2008

How Free It Is

I am moving in on my favorite days of the week, finally. I have a closing at noon today, which kick starts my weekend on the right foot. Last week I was on vacation but that didn't stop me from having to work quite a bit. My family had taken a week off down at Emerald Isle, it was nice to relax and play with my nieces & nephew. We also got the good news my Mom & Dad both passed their real estate exams. They have no plans to use them as of now, but I know first hand how hard that darn test is so I was proud.

I had to rush home from the beach Thursday to get back into the office. I was really looking forward to that weekend as my good friends Matt & Andrea would be getting married. We got in a round of golf with the groomsmen Friday, then it was off to the rehearsal dinner. It was held in the Pope Box above Kenan football stadium. The music, food, company and view made it a great event. They tied the knot Saturday, had a grand reception at the Farrington House and are enjoying a honeymoon in the Mayan Riviera as I type.

My clients that have a closing today asked me a funny question a few days ago. We are looking over the closing statement and they asked, "Where does it say what we pay you?" I was working with them as buyers and they fell under the misconception I've dealt with many times before. "You don't owe me a dime" I said. They gave me a funny look like I had screwed something up so bad I was not charging them, luckily that wasn't the case.

In most cases, the seller is paying both sides of the commission. When an agent lists a home for sale, that commission they charge is going to be split in two. The agent selling the home will receive half, the agent who brings the buyers will receive half. Now this isn't the same in all areas, or with For Sale by owners for example, but this is the common practice. It is something the public should be more educated about, how many buyers drive around aimlessly looking for homes when they could be riding with an agent for free?

Although I should always make that clear on day one of working with a buyer, I've yet to have someone complain when they find out at the end. I know the folks today will be happy to write a smaller check. After today's closing I have to return this guy pictured below. Sammy here has been staying with me for the week while his family is off on vacation. I'll miss having her around, I've been wishing I could get my own dog. I'm just out of the house too much that I think it would be unfair.

Even though we have my favorite days coming up, it's mostly work for me this weekend. Going to see the new Batman movie at the iMax theatre tomorrow night which I'm looking forward to. Sunday is looking pretty good as well, get to see the Embers play live while I float around a pool, not bad. Somewhere in the middle of all that I'm putting two new homes on the market as well. Don't forget it's my birthday next Friday, you may send any gifts to 1520 E. Franklin St, Chapel Hill, NC. Have a great weekend.

No comments: